By Jeff Rosenberg & Streeter Seidell
You're going to need some rolling paper, a filter, a grinder, and between .5 grams and a full gram of marijuana.
1. Add your marijuana to the grinder and twist a couple times to attain the perfect consistency. The herb should be in small clumps, not a fine powder.
2. Position a rolling paper on a flat surface. The adhesive strip should be facing away from you. Some smokers prefer to crease the paper in quarters to more easily roll the joint, though this not entirely necessary.
3. At this point feel free to add a filter to one end as this makes for a cleaner, healthier smoking experience. A filter can be made from a corner of the rolling paper box, rolled into a small tube.
4. Keep your left index finger on top of the filter tip and pinch the sides of the paper between your middle finger and thumb as you fill the paper with marijuana.
5. Make sure you spread the herb evenly across the paper, as this will determine the shape of your joint. Some smokers prefer to use more marijuana in the middle of the joint, however. If that’s the case, gradually taper the amount of marijuana used down as you approach the ends.
6. Here's where it gets a bit tricky. Carefully pinch both sides of the paper together and roll them back and forth a few times. This will help to “roll” the marijuana and produce less canoeing while smoking.
7. Roll outwards from the middle by applying pressure between your thumb and forefingers. (Note: Some marijuana may spill out, which is totally normal and fine. Do not re-start the joint because a few flakes have fallen out. We’ll use that excess marijuana later.)
8. Make sure the joint isn't too tight or too loose. It may take a little practice before you get the right consistency. It should be a little bit looser than a cigarette. Too tight and you won’t be able to pull, too loose and your joint will require many re-lights.
9. Use your left hand to pinch the joint at the filter while your right hand and left thumb slowly roll the paper into a cylinder.
10. As you roll, use your fingers to feed the paper underneath the adhesive strip taking care to make sure you have enough of the adhesive strip showing to wet and seal the joint.
11. Lick the sticky side of the paper and begin rolling downward around the joint while turning with your left hand.
12. Run your fingers down the joint a couple times to make sure the marijuana is equally divided and then tap a couple times so it becomes tighter.
13. Use any excess marijuana that has fallen out of the joint to carefully pack in the tip. Some smokers find a paperclip helpful in tapping loose marijuana in.
14. When the joint is completely rolled, close the top by twisting into point. Lick the entire joint and dry it out by briskly passing it back and forth over a lighter flame.
15. Congratulations! You’ve now hopefully rolled a perfect joint! The only thing left to do is enjoy your hard work!