Sure, the pay might be mediocre and you're on your feet pretty much all day, but one perk of working at a restaurant is the ability to be a fly on the wall of peoples conversations. These restaurant employees, though, might have got more than they bargained for with these horrible dates they witnessed.
1. novags500 is no amateur when it comes to witnessing awkward dates.
2. cheatatjoes shares the quickest way to end a date.
3. _EAT_BERTHAS_MUSSELS -- This is a sad one.
4. berlin-calling witnessed quite possibly the most anticlimactic proposal.
5. I love that these cops were keeping tabs on their Facebooks.
Former server, current bartender. I've seen a lot of awkward dates. Usually just a couple not clicking and sitting in silence, or someone not looking like their profile picture.
The worst one was when I had a date get broken up by about ten cops rushing the table. Turns out the guy was a big time drug dealer who the cops had been looking for for quite some time. He got tackled, cuffed and taken outside. Meanwhile I'm standing there holding their food and a tray of drinks. All I could think of to say was "Sooooo.. Should I box this stuff up for you?"
One of the cops came back in to apologize, and told me they caught him because the girl had tagged herself with him at the restaurant on Facebook. So, I guess always ask your date if they have any warrants out for their arrest before you tag them anywhere.
Also I've seen a lot of dates turn really awkward really fast because of someone drinking too much.
I once had a guy who came in already completely shit faced. He stood up to greet his date, tripped over a bar stool, and face planted. What made it worse was that he just laid on the floor without moving or saying anything until she left. Thankfully it only took her about 2 minutes to nope the fuck out. He didn't get seriously hurt, just a small cut on his nose, but it was painful to watch.
6. moriahisaginger -- maybe they're best friends now?
7. Longlittledoggy -- you may have had an overbearing mother, but at least she wasn't THIS overbearing.
8. roundearther -- whaaat?! The Taco Bell wedding didn't last?!
9. berthejew -- "you pilfering maggot!" catchphrase of the year.
10. 0w1 -- yikes. Would hate to be this waiter. Or the dudes wife.
11. AvieLikesThis -- I didn't realize this was a thing.
12. pockets1989 explains why people really gotta chew with their mouths closed.
13. What. The. Hell.
I posted this in a similar thread once, but here it is again!I was hired shortly after this incident, but employees still talk about it to this day. A guy and a girl are eating dinner at one of the half booth, half tables we had. From the surveillance video the scene plays out like this: Girl suddenly gets up from the booth side of the table and runs to the bathroom. Guy stands up, looks at the booth, covers his mouth, throws down some money and leaves. Server comes back to discover the booth filled with diarrhea. Eventually one of the girls friends comes and picks her up. The servers and manager on duty had to pull the booth from the wall to clean it up because this girls shit had run down into the cracks of the booth.