While you probably know a lot of assorted facts and bits of trivia, a lot of it might not seem particularly mind-blowing without the proper context - like finding out that Nintendo was founded the same year that the Eiffel Tower was constructed. Weird, right? It helps add perspective to history and makes for a cool tidbit to bring up in conversations involving both the Eiffel Tower and Nintendo (happens a lot). And this thread on r/AskReddit brought out a few other bizarre facts that will make you go "uh, weird."
1. The earliest evidence of copper smelting dates the innovative technique at approximately 5000 BCE - while steel swords did not begin to enter the historical record in large quantity until around 500 AD. And we got nukes a mere 1500 years later...
It took humanity approximately 4 times longer to switch from copper swords to steel swords than it took to switch from steel swords to nuclear bombs.
2. Gwen Stefani is TWO YEARS older than Senator Ted Cruz.
Also: Jared Leto is only one year younger than Ted Cruz.
Gwen Stefani is older than Ted Cruz
3. The next time NASA will be able to propose something like this, they'll have to do it to President Barron Trump the Fifth.
When NASA pitched the idea of the Voyager missions to Richard Nixon with the idea of touring the outer planets, he was told that the last time it was possible, Thomas Jefferson was in the White House.
The particular planetary alignment that Voyager 2 used on its journey occurs only once every 176 years.
4. If the Moon Were Only 1 Pixel is another great illustrative example of how stupidly enormous space actually is.
If the sun were scaled down to the size of a white blood cell, the Milky Way galaxy would be the size of the continental United States. The vastness of space is mind boggling.
5. Important fact - we are only about 22 years away from 2040, but about 23 years away from 1994. HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?
We are closer to the year 2040 than the year of 1994.
6. No one has died of the bird flu in the United States, and there are 2 confirmed deaths in the US due to the Ebola virus (although it was not contracted in the US in both of these cases). However, 8 individuals have dated Taylor Swift.
If you live in the USA, you have better odds of dating Taylor Swift than dying of Bird Flu and Ebola combined.
7. Disney either really loves fireworks, or is planning for a ground invasion of North Korea.
Next to the US army, Disney world is the largest buyer and importer of explosives in the USA
In the span of the last 3 Star Wars movies, The Cleveland Browns have won 1 game.
9. After you board TWO ships that sink, maybe stick to the land before the third one leaves harbor.
The Titanic had two sister ships, the Britannic and the Olympic. There was a woman called Violet Jessop, a nurse and a cruise liner stewardess that worked on all three.
The Olympic crashed into a warship whilst leaving harbor but was able to make it back.
She was on the Titanic as it sank and is referenced in the Titanic film, a stewardess that was told to set an example to the non english speaking passengers as the ship sank. She looked after a baby on lifeboat 16 until being rescued by the Carpathia the next day.
It's not known what exactly caused the sinking of the Britannic but the lifeboats hit the water too early. As the ship sank, the rear listed up and a number of the lifeboats were sucked into the propellers. Violet had to jump out of the lifeboat she was in and sustained a serious head injury, but survived.
She was on board for all three incidents in the space of 5 years.
She went back to continue to work at sea for another thirty years before retiring in 1950. She died of Heart failure in 71.
10. DO NOT RUIN JURASSIC PARK FOR ME, FACTS.
Stegosaurus lived 150 million years ago.
T. Rex lived 65 million years ago.
Stegosaurus was more ancient to the T. Rex than the T. Rex is to us.
11. Woolly Mammoths went extinct about 3,600 years ago - while the Great Pyramid was built about 4,500 years ago.
The Great Pyramid was built before the last Woolly Mammoth died.
12. You have to be patient if you want a place to live under the sea.
Pineapples take 2 years to grow
13. The reason for this is pretty gross - pre-ground coffee contains bits of cockroaches. Sorry, everyone.
Scientists who work with cockroaches often develop allergies towards cockroaches. At the same time, they also develop allergies to pre-ground coffee.