It accounts for about 16% of our body and protects our soft squishy insides. An adult has about 20 pounds worth of it, and it's prone to festering infections, pimples and lesions.
Yes, we're talking about your beautiful skin.
Obviously, our fleshy bits aren't always as impeccable as we'd like. A scrape, some dry, flaky bits here and there is no biggy, but when that weeping postule you've had for weeks finally bursts, it feels like you need 200 showers to feel clean.
Even more so, we do everything in our power not to let these flaws show, because in the back of everyone's mind we all have a deep rooted fear of catching some sort of necrotic skin-eating, disease (UH, ZOMBIES anyone?) that will turn us into the outcasts and lepers that have plagued society since the beginning of time.
So, the next time you want to pick at a scab or pop a zit, remember what this giant organ can actually turn into if you don't take care of it (and, to be honest, sometimes even if you do).
1. Even if it's FX, it's still FuX-ing with our head.
2. This condition is called Cutis Verticis Gyrata. It's associated with thickening of the scalp to make the head look "brain-like".
3. Don't you just want to pluck them out?
4. It's not too noticable, is it?
5. So many holes...
6. It's time to shed some old skin.
7. Epidermodysplasia verruciformis is an inherited skin disorder characterised by flare-ups of wart-like lesions.
8. Leprosy is no joke.
9. Do you need to lay down and sleep?
10. They won't stop spreading.
11. Do you want a kiss?
12. Completely cracked.
We like you. Do you like us too?