In case you've only seen New York City represented in movies, here's a few things that'll help you understand the city just a little bit better. (Contrary to popular belief, New Yorkers are hardly, if ever, "Walkin' here!" or "Fuggeding-about it.")
1. NYC is just a tiny blip on the scale of New York. Also, living in NYC does not = living in a high-rise Manhattan apartment.
2. Some people don't realize just how big and visually striking Central Park really is.
3. But it's not all beautiful skylines from your apartment windows. Instead, this is far too common. And you probably won't become chums with the dude across from you. Instead you will invest in nice, dark shades and never open them.
4. A not-that-surprising NY note confrontation. No word if the 'shitty scooter' was indeed flattened.
5. Very accurate. Times Square, in general, is to be avoided for most who live in NYC.
6. A fairly tame example of what you might find on the subway.
7. And be prepared for equally strange sights at the subway stations. (Check out Too Many Zooz here though, they're great.)
8. And this location is relatively deep into Queens.
9. Probably a more appropriate book for most who live here.
10. But hey, at least New York streets aren't as confusingly shitty as Bostons.
We like you. Do you like us too?